POWERHOUSE MUSEUM AND SYDNEY OBSERVATORY VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
– a vital museum service
Sydney Observatory is part of the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences also incorporating the Powerhouse Museum. More than 250 volunteers currently work at the Powerhouse Museum, the PowerhouseDiscovery Centre and Sydney Observatory. We value our volunteers, who play an important role in the life of the Museum. Volunteers actively involve the community in the mission and activities of the Museum. They bring vitality, interests, experience and skills to supporting the work of staff and they assist the Museum in maintaining its high standards of customer service.
There are two kinds of volunteer positions available at Sydney Observatory – Visitor Service volunteers and Behind the Scenes volunteers.
If you are interested in working with visitors, the duties of a Visitor Services volunteer may be suitable. Visitor Services Volunteers at Sydney Observatory meet and greet visitors and provide directions to facilities, conduct tours of the exhibition and site for visitors. Special Event volunteers are also recruited to act as explainers and provide customer service assistance for special events and temporary exhibitions.
Behind the Scenes volunteers assist paid staff in work that happens away from the public areas of the Museum in a variety of areas including collection research and curatorial assistance, registration or conservation (collection management), photography, exhibition development or design.
Volunteer benefits provided by the Museum
Along with the interesting and rewarding experience of working in the Museum, volunteers also receive:
- 10% discount at the Powerhouse Museum shop
- a weekly volunteers bulletin
- one year’s free Museum membership after completing 100 hours of voluntary work (membership is issued in the January of the following year)
- certificates of recognition after each year of service
- badges recognising 5, 10, 15 and 20 years of service
- a written reference where required and appropriate
- recognition of participation in training
- invitations to social outings and activities
- access to the research library
- participation in staff training courses run in-house, where places are available
If you are interested in a volunteer position at Sydney Observatory that involves Astronomy or that is Behind the Scenes, we ask that you attend one of the Sydney City Skywatchers meetings, which are held at Sydney Observatory on the first Monday of the month from 6:30pm – 8:30pm. Here you can meet Toner Stevenson (Sydney Observatory General Manager) and discuss your volunteering interest.
Please fill out an application form – available as either a pdf or a Word document – if you are interested in joining the Visitor Services Team at Sydney Observatory in the position of:
- Fort Phillip archaeology guide assistant (occasional weekdays and school holidays) 10am – 3pm
- Time Tour school holiday guides (Mon-Fri, 11am – 1pm)
and return it by either email or post (the email and postal addresses are on the form).
For further enquiries please contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator on (02) 9217 0676 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org