Sydney Observatory offers day and night birthday experiences ideal for children turning 7 to 12. First, there is the excitement of a short 3D space theatre movie in which they may travel to the planet Mars or witness the explosive death of star to become a black hole. This is followed by telescope viewing with the guidance of one of our experienced astronomers, or, in wet weather, a combination of a planetarium session with some time to explore our exhibition. Early evening viewing times can include viewing of planets depending on the time of year.
During the day view solar objects or by night the stars and planets. Afterwards, you can have a picnic in the Observatory grounds or visit one of the many restaurants and cafes close by in the historic Rocks.
- Catering, catering facilities and furniture are not included in this package.
- Sydney Observatory grounds are suitable for picnics of up to one hour’s duration, however the grounds are also open to other visitors, so the space may need to be shared.
- Please meet and gather your party guests outside the museum unless it is raining.
- Adult friends and family who are not part of the booked group may enjoy the museum while children are enjoying the party tour.
- There is usually another event directly after your session so please be ready to start on time as it is not possible to extend past the stated finish time.
- Please encourage the children in your group to use the on-site toilets before the session starts
- For everyone’s enjoyment and safety we require one adult from your group to accompany every 10 children on the tour.
- To help protect our historic exhibits from sticky fingers and spills, please enjoy any party food outside after the Observatory visit.
- Within the grounds of Sydney Observatory, ball games, temporary structures and alcohol are not permitted. This protects the heritage buildings, gardens and other visitors.